Sunday, August 08, 2004

All hot & sweaty!!

Hello again!

Well, it's been a busy old weekend. I decided to do some work in the garden as I want to make a safe area for my little boy to play in without fear of him landing on concrete & causing himself some serious damage!

We have in our garden the remains of a humungous carp pond. It takes up more than half the garden if you trace it carefully. Some of it I have already covered up reasonably successfully with grass.

Other bits still need demolishing.

We made quite an impressive start on this earlier in the year, but as most things, other things got in the way and it came to an abrupt halt. I decided I was so sick to death of looking at this half demolished monstrosity I would attempt to continue the demolition job. There is one hell of a load of concrete in this thing. You could build a house from the amount of rubble we have building up and I'm only half way through it!

Huge concrete boulders and home made concrete make for quite a challenge I can tell you - especially in the heatwave we have been having of late. I'm sure I have lost about half a stone this weekend! (I can't tell you for sure as our scales need new batteries!)

After getting despondent with knocking down the pond and only getting so far - as some of the concrete really is quite dense & compact - I decided I'd had enough of our inherited raised herb bed - which sits near to our house. This is the area I have earmarked as a small play area for our little boy.

So, sledgehammer at the ready - and demolishing commenced - starting yesterday afternoon. Oh, what bliss this one was to demolish. There is such satisfaction in knocking something down. The walls came down so easily, a few knocks and hey presto! Wall comes loose. So, walls knocked down, and earth cleared out. I did half of it last night.

This morning I finished it off, and extended my demolishing act to the paving slabs that were all around the area too, digging out an area, so that it becomes a sunken area, so I can lay in some gravel. What a difference it makes not seeing this huge monstrosity of a herb garden, which always seemed to end up as a dumping ground or overrun with mint!

Tomorrow I will get the polythene to lay under the gravel and I will re-use the gravel in the other part of our garden, which I will then excavate so I can have some lovely sunny flower borders!

Well, I guess you could say I've had quite a satisfying weekend all in all. I've got rid of some aggression together with a bit more of the concrete monstrostities we inherited in our garden!

That's it for now folks - I need to give my poor arms a rest.

Please drop by soon!

Pauline

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home