Thursday, June 24, 2004

Flying the nest

Hello,

Well, it's two days to go now before the youngest of my two daughters flys off to Australia for a whole year! She is only 18, nearly 19, but as her mum I will be worrying about her from the minute she steps through the customs gate until she lands on the tarmac back in England!

She is travelling with another girl friend, and they have carefully planned their route all through the land of Oz, starting in Perth and working their way around ending up in Cairns.

She is very brave to be off on this adventure, and also very lucky to have this opportunity. It never crossed my mind when I was her age to go travelling so far afield. I was just about married when I was her age (I first married at 18 1/2), it didn't seem that young back then - but looking back at my girls now, I was incredibly young and very naive.

Fortunately my youngest daughter is much more worldly wise than I ever was at 18, she handles herself well, and won't take too much grief from anyone. Unlike me, who wouldn't have said boo to a goose!

She is not scared of confrontation and will stand up for what she believes in especially if someone is unfairly treated.

She has grown into a very independent, caring young woman - she knows her mind, and what she wants to do in life (I'm still trying to work out what I want to do!). So, I guess, despite her strange childhood / growing up, she has turned out amazingly well balanced and strong.

I do hope she returns from Australia, there is always that possibility that she will have such a wonderful time she may not want to return. I will have to cross that bridge if it should ever happen.

I will miss her when she is away - having to pick her up from Bournemouth cos she can't afford the train / bus fare - her stories of drunken friends and late nights/early mornings, and the fuss she makes of her little brother (who will have changed so much by the time she comes home - but thank goodness for the internet!)

Well, that's it for today, it's just 48 hours before my little girl flys off on her big adventure - all I can do is be here for her when she needs me.

Come back soon

Pauline.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home