Thursday, June 03, 2004

Tooth hurty :(

Hello,
It's been a few days since I've written a Blog but time seems to have flown by until today.
Over the last couple of days I've been getting niggling toothache - bearable with painkillers - until this morning. Painkillers didn't touch it. So I made an appointment to see my dentist - initially for tomorrow - but after a couple of hours of unsubsiding pain, I changed it to this afternoon! My goodness, how slowly the clock went today!

I have a relatively high pain threshold - and can normally go for weeks without giving in to the pain (toothache) but this time - it was excrutiating (and still is I hasten to add).

I have always been incredibly nervous when it comes to dentists. Hence the serious procrastinating I have done over the years. This fear probably came about when I had my first filling at the age of 16. I think I only needed a small filling - but I was terrified. The dentist did nothing to re-assure me, and proceeded his handywork - without an injection. BIG MISTAKE!!!
I pushed him away several times to which he got very annoyed with me. Hence an ingrained fear of dentists.

Up until perhaps a year or so ago, every time I needed to go to the dentist, the anxiety would build up to such a point that I wouldn't be able to swallow properly for days beforehand. Once I was in the dentists waiting room - my hands would go cold, my stomach would be doing somersaults and I would be feeling a nervous wreck. Once in the dentists chair - well, hand clenched onto the arms of the chair - talk about a white knuckle ride! Terrified.

I have been lucky the last couple of dentists I have had as they have been quite patient with me. I always make them explain everything they are doing as they are going so I know what to expect. My current dentist is wonderful - he always makes sure I am comfortable with what he is doing. Always makes sure I can't feel anything before he needs to do any work. He explains everything to me. And doesn't make me feel like a complete whimp! I have even managed to cope with an extraction some months ago! I was sooo nervous it was unbelievable. But when it came down to it - it was over in a jiffy - amazing!

This time though - he couldn't do too much for me today as there is an abcess - this is definitely worse than toothache as painkillers don't seem to touch it. But he's dosed me up with antibiotics, which should start to kick in about this time tomorrow. In the meantime I'm dosing up with painkillers too - in the hopes that they may just decide to help numb the pain a little. The throbbing is unreal. I can't hardly eat anything as my tooth is just too sensitive to even the slightest amount of pressure.

One way of losing weight I suppose - but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

Well, that's it for now - but a big thank you to my lovely dentist for making my dentistry experience a whole lot better now than it was for me at 16. And to my dentist who gave me my first filling - B******!

Come back again soon :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home